Tornadoes are powerful natural disasters that can cause severe damage and endanger lives. It is important to know what to do during a tornado to stay safe.
TORNADO SAFETY TIPS
- Have a Plan - Before a tornado strikes, it is important to have a plan in place. Identify a safe place in your home where you can take shelter. This could be a basement, storm cellar, or an interior room on the lowest level of your home. Make sure everyone in your household knows the plan and where to go.
- Stay Informed - Keep an eye on the weather forecast and listen for tornado watches and warnings. (our friends at WBBJ have a great staff of meteorologists that stay on top of storms in West TN) If a tornado warning is issued, take immediate action and move to your safe place.
- Stay Away from Windows - During a tornado, windows can shatter and send shards of glass flying. It is important to stay away from windows and seek shelter in a more secure location.
- Protect Your Head - If you are unable to get to a safe place, protect your head with your arms and hands. If possible, cover your head with a pillow or blanket to shield yourself from flying debris.
- Wait for the All-Clear - After the tornado has passed, wait for the all-clear from local authorities before leaving your safe place. Be aware of any hazards, such as downed power lines, and avoid them.
In the event of damage to your home or property, contact SERVPRO Team Caldwell for professional cleanup and restoration services. Our experienced technicians can help restore your home to its pre-damage condition quickly and efficiently.