How to use Fire Extinguishers
All of us at SERVPRO of Dyersburg/ Union City hope you never have a fire. If the worst happens, we are experts in cleaning the damage left by smoke and fire in your home or office.
Fire extinguishers may help prevent fire damage or smoke damage, but only if you know how to use them.
SERVPRO of Dyersburg/Union City wants to share these tips from FEMA. You can try to fight a small fire only if:
- You have alerted others in the building that there is a fire
- Someone has called the fire department
- You are physically able to use a fire extinguisher
- The fire is small and contained (like a wastebasket)
- You are safe from the fire’s smoke
- You have a clear escape route
How to Use a Fire Extinguisher: SERVPRO of Dyersburg/Union City suggests you remember PASS:
Pull the pin. Hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you and release the locking mechanism
Aim at the base of the fire
Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly
Sweep the nozzle side to side